Sunday 9 December 2012

Customer service or hard sell?

Yesterday I decided to join the masses and try and do the majority of my Christmas shopping ( oh, and presents for the birthday boy); which meant a shopping trip for me and my lovely sister Emma.

So off to Lakeside we went, I honestly thought we were going to be queuing for everything, the tolls, the car park and to pay but as we went early ( well before lunch) it wasn't too bad and we managed to achieve loads in a short space of time.

But I am sure you are wondering what this has to do with Walt Disney World, I love shopping at WDW the level of service is outstanding and I never feel that there is the element of hard sell that is creeping in over here.

I know we are in a recession but I just don't expect to be subjected to 20 questions when I go up to pay just with the aim of squeezing some extra money out of me:

  • Would you like that gift wrapped? No, thanks
  • Do you want the box flat so you can wrap it later? No, thanks
  • Would you like a princess bag for it? Um, no thanks ( yes I was in a Disney store)
  • Would you like a carrier bag, it's going to be 5p? Yes, please
  • Would you like the Minnie Mouse for £7? I politely responded no while thinking if I did want it I would have picked it up from the 20 other places you have strategically placed it around the store instead of waiting to see if you were going to ask me if I wanted it at the till!
When I shop I just want to wander, take my time, pick what I want and for there to be no stress which is why holiday shopping appeals to me - its not that I need anything but more that I want things and there is definitely no hard sell



There are so many amazing places to shop at Walt Disney World, but the biggest and best just for variety is The World of Disney at DTD Marketplace. It's the biggest Disney store in the world (so I am told) and is split into sections - it's a fab spot to shelter from a shower but expect to come out with your purse feeling a whole lot lighter.

A great thing about shopping if you are staying on property is that you can send your purchases back to your hotel to save you carrying them; especially helpful if you have just purchased a massive cuddly toy ( not ever done this myself but have been amused to see people carrying them onto the plane as hand luggage; like that's ever going to fit in an overhead locker!)

I will admit to having a random collection of merchandise at home, including vinylmations and a good selection of aeriel toppers ( we don't put them on the car as they get pinched - and are now called nickits in my house)

So the question of the week is......is it too early to start my shopping list? I have a few things on my Walmart list already and keep thinking of more everyday; at this rate I will need to leave James there to get everything home. With that thought I am off to add some more stuff to my list




No comments:

Post a Comment