Monday 26 May 2014

Off or on? .....

Even though I know it's highly unlikely that we will be back to Disney next year due to how late in the year we are travelling this year it didn't stop me from picking up the 2015 - 2016 brochure and having a cheeky look through it

And so an interesting question to ponder if we did decide to try and save to go back next year would we be happy to stay off site rather than on site; which could mean a  saving of around £600 each on a 2 week holiday but is money everything?

Our first trip ever to Florida we were about as uneducated as anyone could be and I think all I had in terms of info was a little Berlitz travel guide; we stayed off site on the 192 in a hotel with "a complimentary shuttle bus" now I'm not saying that this doesn't work and I'm sure that some hotels have it down to a fine art but I remember frantically running through Epcot (Ok maybe run is a bit optimistic) after the fireworks to make sure we didn't miss the last bus back.

From what I can remember of that holiday we had a fantastic time (apart from the little argument about whether it was a good idea to use an umbrella in a thunder storm - James this is NOT a good idea) but I'm pretty sure we missed loads as we just hadn't figured out the sheer size of everything and were restricted by the free transport, actually we must have had an amazing time otherwise why would we have ever gone back?

But we didn't return for 2 or 3 years after our first trip and this time we stayed at Disney's All Star Sports; again I don't think we saw everything we wanted to but it felt like there was les pressure - buses direct to all the parks which ran frequently; a food court and some fantastic theming

So what makes on site better than off site or vice versa - off site will probably be cheaper and most Orlando resorts now offer free transport to the theme parks where as a Disney resort will be more costly and only offer free transport to the Disney parks

When staying at a Disney resort you get extra magic hours and the opportunity to book your Fastpass+ 60 days in advance where as off site guests can't attend morning EMH but can stay for evening EMH they just can't do any of the rides and can only book their fastpasses 30 days ahead

Another thing when staying on site if you have a hotel reservation and tickets you can book the Disney dining plan which means that your meals are pre paid (there are a few different plans so it's worth doing a bit of research) and if you are lucky this might also be offered free with your booking

So, a £600 saving but is my time more valuable to me? Everyone is different but I think for me on site will always win; I love the fact that you are at the heart of the magic and if the mood takes you at 8.30 at night if you are quick you might just get to the park in time for Wishes - and to me that's priceless

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment